Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Every Single Day!

Waiting. Waiting is the worst possible thing an aspiring writer can do. Well, maybe not the worst. Punching the Pope is certainly up there on the list, but waiting is still pretty bad. Why? Well if you are waiting then you are not doing and if you want to get something done then you better start doing.

I made this mistake when I started submitting my script. I thought I was done, I thought it was only a matter of time. Sure it could happen, one of the people I sent my work out to might love it and offer to buy it (after the strike ends). That would be super, I would be very happy. I would put on the "Peanut Butter Jelly Time" song or the "Hamster Dance" and jump about the room.

OK, but what if nothing happens? Then all of that waiting would have just been a waste of time. Weeks, maybe even months lost into the abyss. Bad move. I should have(and presently am) used that time to create other opportunities. make connections, network, build my career.

With this in mind I have made a promise to myself. Everyday, I will do at least one thing that advances my career as a filmmaker. It could be enter a screen writing competition, contacting other writers, join a writing group, etc. Every day I will make it a point to do one thing.

Example? Very well, the other day I reached out to the LIFILM group(my local film community). I contacted them and told them that I was a young writer looking for any advice or assistance. In the following days a got a few replies, mostly just words of encouragement or vague suggestions, like join a writers group. It wasn't a home run, but I will continue to correspond with some of these people and see what happens.

The journey continues.

No comments: