Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Could there be Blood?

As I was watching the lowest rated Oscar telecast in history the other night a few things occurred to me. First off, no one has seen any of these movies. I am an avid movie goer and I had only seen four of the Best Picture nominees. I don't know anyone who has seen "There Will be Blood", and very few who have seen "Juno" or "No Country...".

I'm not saying that Hollywood should start pandering, but as the rating have demonstrated it is a big problem. If you look at years where the rating were high, 94, 97, 01 many of the best pictures were also box office smashes. This is actually a symptom of a bigger problem. Namely adults don't go to the movies any more.

The other thing that got me thinking was about the films themselves. If "There Will be Blood" was submitted by an unknown writer to a studio wold it get noticed? The complete lack of dialog in the beginning, the characters that don't seem to change at all over the course of the film, the abrupt ending...etc. Wouldn't these choices create red flags in the minds of the studio readers? Where are the three acts? This film doesn't fit into the checklist cookie cutter that so many films are measured by. Neither does "No Country for Old Men". Would these films get made in Hollywood with out big names behind them?

I say no and that's a big problem.

No comments: